Chinese Pickled Cucumber Salad Recipe
A lightly pickled cucumber salad commonly served in Taiwan as a zesty appetiser. This is a simple dish but it needs to be prepared half a day in advance.
3 oriental cucumbers
1/2 medium-sized carrot
2 tablespoons white rice vinegar
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 cayenne chilli pepper, sliced
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
- Scrub cucumber and rinse skin well (do not peel).
- Cut cucumbers lengthways into quarters. Cut crossways into finger-length pieces.
- Slice carrot into matchstick-sized slivers.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of salt over cucumbers and carrot. Mix in.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Rinse off salt and drain.
- Add remaining teaspoon of salt, rice vinegar, garlic, chilli pepper, sugar. Mix well.
- Refrigerate for a further 3 hours, mix and serve.
For a variation, add a teaspoon of finely diced young ginger. You can substitute the cucumber with another vegetable such as radish, kohlrabi, cabbage or Chinese cabbage.
CHINESE NAME OF RECIPE
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THIS RECIPE …
Taiwan Cold Noodles
This Taiwan salad, cold noodles with chicken in a tangy sesame and black vinegar dressing is delicious, and quick and easy to make following this recipe.