60 g (2 oz) mung beans
1.4 litre (1.5 qt) water
3 tablespoons white sugar, or to taste
- Soak beans overnight, or least for 4 hours, in plenty of water.
- Place beans in a large pot, add water.
- Bring to a boil, stir, and simmer for 20 minutes (do not cover).
- Turn heat off, cover, steep for 30 minutes. Add sugar, stir.
- Let cool, then refrigerate for 1 hour, and serve.
Notes: Mung beans, according to Chinese physicians,
have a 'cooling' effect on the body, so this is a very popular
dish in summer. Read about the medicinal properties of mung
beans in Chinese
System of Food Cures. The dish can also be served cold or hot.