Egg Fried Rice Recipe
This Chinese egg fried rice recipe is simple to make at home with these easy-to-follow instructions. This delicious Taiwan-style dish is a wholesome meal in one dish.
5 cups cooked white rice
5–6 cups cooked white rice (2 cups of uncooked rice / see Chinese white rice recipe)
4 stalks spring onions, cut into 1 cm (3/8″) lengths
4 cloves garlic, lightly crushed, roughly chopped
150 g (5 oz) lean pork, julienned
2 cups cabbage, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup carrot, sliced into slivers
1/3 cup strongly-flavoured chicken stock
3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Break up any clumps of rice with a fork and put aside.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to eggs and beat well. Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and smear with oil. Make an omelette. Slice into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in the wok at a very low heat. Add garlic and fry for a minute until oil is garlic infused–do not brown garlic. Remove garlic but leave as much oil in the wok as possible.
- Bring wok to full heat. Add pork, stirring rapidly for 30 seconds. Continue to stir as you one by one add carrots, cabbage, spring onions, before re-adding garlic.
- Add stock and soy sauce, bring to a boil. Stir fry for two more minutes.
- Add rice and stir everything for a few minutes until rice is steaming hot. If rice starts to stick to the wok, reduce heat.
- Mix in omelette and cook dish for a minute more before serving.
The trick with fried rice is ending up with a dish that is neither to dry or too soggy. You should not use freshly cooked rice as it is usually too gooey to make good fried rice. Use leftover rice, or at a minimum, let just-cooked rice cool in the pot for an hour without the lid. You can stir it to speed up the cooling/drying process. Then stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours, again without the lid. If your leftover rice has been in the fridge for a while, it will be pretty dry and you might want to add a little more water to the stock. Conversely, same-day cooked rice might need a bit less.
Unlike white rice which is always served in individual bowls, fried rice with its many ingredients, is considered almost a complete meal and is served on a communal plate. Most Taiwanese though, prefer to eat it with a soup and at least one vegetable dish.
CHINESE NAME OF THIS DISH
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THIS RECIPE …
Deep Fried Tofu
This Chinese deep fried tofu dish goes well with a dipping sauce. Great as a snack or as part of a meal. It is easy to make following this recipe.