Egg Fried Rice Recipe
This Chinese egg fried rice recipe is simple to make at home with these easy-to-follow instructions. This delicious Taiwan-style dish is a wholesome meal in one dish.
5 cups cooked white rice (rice recipe)
4 stalks spring onions, cut into 1 cm (3/8″) lengths
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
150 g (5 oz) lean pork, julienned
2 cups cabbage, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup carrot, finely sliced
1/3 cup strongly flavoured chicken stock
4 tablespoons soy sauce
- Break rice into individual grains with your hands and put aside.
- Beat eggs. Add 1/4 of spring onions, salt and pepper. Mix well. Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and smear with oil. Make an omelette. Slice into small pieces and set aside. In fact few people cook the egg like this.
- Heat rest of oil in wok at a very low heat. Add garlic and fry for a minute until oil is garlic-flavoured – do not brown garlic. Remove garlic but leave as much oil in wok as possible.
- Bring wok to full heat. Add pork, stirring rapidly for 30 seconds. One by one add carrots, cabbage, and spring onions while stirring. Return garlic to wok. Add stock and soy sauce, bring to a boil. Stir fry for two minutes more.
- Add rice and stir everything for a few minutes until rice is hot. If rice starts to stick to wok, reduce heat. Add omelette and cook for a minute more before serving on a plate.
The trick with fried rice is ending up with a dish that is neither to dry or too soggy. You should not use freshly cooked rice as it is usually too gooey to make good fried rice. Use leftover rice, or at a minimum, let just-cooked rice cool in the pot for an hour without the lid. You can stir it to speed up the cooling/drying process. Then stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours, again without the lid. If your leftover rice has been in the fridge for a while, it will be pretty dry and you might want to add a little more water to the stock. Conversely, same-day cooked rice might need a bit less.
Unlike white rice which is always served in individual bowls, fried rice with its many ingredients, is considered almost a complete meal and is served on a communal plate. Most Taiwanese though, prefer to eat it with a soup and at least one vegetable dish.
CHINESE NAME OF THIS DISH
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THIS RECIPE …
Deep Fried Tofu
This Chinese deep fried tofu dish goes well with a dipping sauce. Great as a snack or as part of a meal. It is easy to make following this recipe.