Pineapple and Bamboo Chicken Soup Recipe
This simple, tangy Chinese soup is a traditional homestyle favourite in Taiwan. It is easy to make following this authentic recipe.
3 oriental cucumbers
1/2 medium-sized carrot
2 tablespoons white rice vinegar
5 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 chilli pepper, sliced
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
- Scrub cucumber and rinse skin well (do not peel).
- Cut cucumbers lengthways into quarters. Cut crossways into finger-length pieces.
- Slice carrot into matchstick-sized slivers.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of salt over cucumbers and carrot. Mix in.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Rinse off salt and drain.
- Add remaining teaspoon of salt, rice vinegar, garlic, chilli pepper, sugar. Mix well.
- Refrigerate for a further 3 hours, mix and serve.
For a variation add a teaspoon of finely diced ginger. You can substitute the cucumber with another vegetable such as radish, kohlrabi, cabbage or Chinese cabbage.
CHINESE NAME OF THIS DISH
fènglí sǔnzi tāng
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THIS RECIPE …
Rice Flavoured with Lard and Soy Sauce
Only plain white rice is simpler than this tasty pauper’s dish.