Ginseng Chicken Soup Recipe
Ginseng has been treasured as a tonic in China for thousands of years. This homestyle dish is a tasty example of revitalising Chinese medicinal cooking.
3 oriental cucumbers
1/2 medium-sized carrot
2 tablespoons white rice vinegar
5 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 chilli pepper, sliced
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
- Rinse chicken inside and out.
- Put breast-side up in a large pot. Add enough water to cover chicken.
- Bring pot to boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off flame. Skim off any scum on water. Let chicken steep for 90 minutes.
- Add ginseng, wine, salt and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve directly in cooking pot so diners can help themselves: meat can easily be prised away from carcass with chopsticks, and soup ladled into individual bowls.
CHINESE NAME OF THIS DISH
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THIS RECIPE …
Fried Radish Cake
Radish cake is one of the great staples of breakfast stores and dim sum restaurants.